Thursday, August 15, 2013

School Smarts Part III: Managing Everything

Hey everybody! So next in my back to school series is my post on how to manage everything throughout the school year. This post is more targeted towards high school students {freshman especially}, but these tips could be helpful to a student of any year! 

These tips that I'm sharing with you is something that I wish someone would have told me before I jumped right into freshman year. I think that last year {freshman year}, was definitely not my best school year academically or socially. So anyways, here we go. Here are my tips to managing everything: from blogging, to sports, to everything in between. Let's get started!

School

This is the most important above them all. You are at school to learn. Getting good grades and learning is the most important. I find that time management is especially necessary during any grade. I do not have this mastered, by any means, but I think that I've grown since the start of freshman year. I think that the most important thing is trying your best and preparing yourself for everything. 

"Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail."

-Benjamin Franklin

This quote really does sum it all up. Basically working hard in school should come before all others. Focusing to get all of your school work done, and done well. I know that sometimes I like to take the short cuts and skip out on doing some homework that never gets checked, but this will only hurt you. I find that with everything else that's going on, getting your homework done is a huge time chunk. Whatever time I get home from my sport {freshman year I got home around 5:30}, I sometimes would just goof around and do nothing. But this year-no more! I'm going to be coming home and immediately working on my homework. This gets all of that out of the way so that I have more time to do what I want.

Sports/Clubs

Everyone basically gets involved in sports during school. If you don't, you should! Getting involved is a great way to make a ton of friends and looks amazing on college applications! Plus, believe it or not I find that being on a team that has a huge time commitment actually helps me to get things done! I find that when time is limited, I buckle down and get things done. If I'm given more time to do things, I tend to dilly dally then panic at the last second. Definitely join something, but remember that school should come before sports.

Hard Classes

I dealt with way to many issues with difficult classes last year, and I'm determined to not repeat it this year. I should have switched out in the first place rather than giving myself a whole year of a horrible class. Also, if a class is difficult: get a tutor! If you can afford a private tutor, great! If not, there are plenty of tutors {usually teachers} at most schools that meet in certain areas to help kids on their homework! Last year I most definitely should have gotten a Biology and Math tutor, yet I didn't. I'm not making the same mistake this year and I'm definitely getting a Chemistry tutor! I may or may not get a Math tutor depending on how the class goes/how my teacher is. Classes are meant to challenge you, but don't let them take control of your GPA and force you to get low grades from a class that is too difficult for you.

Social Time

I found it pretty difficult last year to be on drill team and have a social life. But honestly, I managed. I think what you have to remember is that a lot of your friends are probably on teams as well. This was true for me so I really wasn't missing out. My friends were also always busy with their teams so we were all on the same page. Plus, there's always the weekends. Try to make as many friends as you can in your classes/clubs/sports so you are still having a social life!

Blogging

I know that blogging is a very time consuming task. For me, I find that I love writing my posts at nighttime when I get into bed. I usually am just searching the web on my laptop so I write my post and then schedule it to midnight. Another option is to schedule your posts for the week over the weekend. That way you are not using up valuable weekday time. And always feel free to take a break from blogging every once in a while. Your readers will understand because I'm sure a lot of them are overwhelmed with school throughout the year as well. 

Thank you so much for reading! I hope this helped some of you to have a successful school year. Let me know what you think in the comments below!

What are your secrets to success in managing everything throughout school? 

I look forward to hearing from you!

xoxo, Katelyn

1 comment:

  1. Great post!

    xo,
    Grace
    preppyonthewestcoast.blogspot.com

    P.S. I tagged YOU for the Liebster Award!! :)
    http://preppyonthewestcoast.blogspot.com/2013/08/liebster-award-take-four.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...